Definitive Guide to Install WordPress Plugins
WordPress is the best choice for newbie bloggers to start their blogging journey. But there are couple of technical things that every newbie blogger need to learn when he starts using WordPress. How to Install WordPress plugins is one of such main things that every self-hosted WordPress blogger should know after installing WordPress.
WordPress Plugins Installation can be done mainly by three different ways. I am going to talk about the most common ways in detail while the other way a little briefly. Basically, WordPress by default provides you two different ways to install WordPress Plugins on your WordPress blog.
- Install plugin by Search
- Install plugin by Upload
- Install plugin by FTP Upload (Last way)
Install WordPress Plugins by Search:
The best and simplest way to install any WordPress plugin is by WordPress Dashboard. This works best when you know the name of WordPress plugin already, simply search it from the “WordPress Dashboard => Plugins” tab. Go to Plugins tab, click on “Add New”. Here you will see a screen as shown below.
- Here for example, we are going to install“W3 Total Cache” Plugin. So I will enter the plugin name, will search it, and will click on “Install Now” button.
- I will here recommend you to check the compatibility of that Plugin with your WordPress version. To check the Plugin compatibility, click on “More Details” button, here you will be able to see the compatibility of that plugin with your WordPress version.
- After installing the plugin, simply go to your Plugins tab, and click “Activate” in front of the plugin which you want to activate.
- After installing and activating the plugin, many bloggers mostly make mistake in configuring them. So I would suggest you to read their documentation to configure them properly.
Install WordPress Plugins by Upload:
Some time it happen that you have downloaded plugin already or the plugin is from some 3rd party site, then you can install that .zip file by uploading it from the WordPress dashboard. Simply click on Add new plugin, choose the plugin .zip file from your computer, and click on “Install now”.
- Here remember one thing that WordPress dashboard accepts only plugins in .zip format. After clicking install now, it will take some time for the plugin to upload and install, so don’t close that window and wait until the plugin is installed.
Install WordPress Plugins by FTP:
FTP is very useful method to install plugins when you are not able to install them from WordPress dashboard due to server restrictions. All you need to do is download the plugin from WordPress plugins directory, unzip it and upload it to your wp-content/plugins folder.
After uploading the plugin files to your wp-content/plugins folder, simply go to WordPress Plugins tab from your Dashboard. You will be able to see that plugin there. Simply click on activate in front of that plugin to make that plugin active.
For myself, I personally prefer to use install by search or upload method and install by FTP method (only in those cases, when there are restrictions applied from server side to install plugin from Dashboard). So that’s all about installing plugin on your WordPress blog. If you face and problem, do ask me here in comments. Also subscribe to Tech Leaks feeds to have latest WordPress articles mailed to you directly.
Read (Pro Tip): How to Password Protect WordPress Admin (wp-admin) Directory